Today I had lunch in sunny Santa Monica at a raw food place and was inspired by the abundance of superfoods. My favorite of the three dishes I tried was this superfood soup, containing delicious chunks of avocado.
Avocados are nutrient dense because they are packed with:
- More potassium than a banana to maintain healthy blood pressure
- Healthy fats and anti-inflammatory phytochemicals that improve the absorption of these cancer fighting chemicals and fat-soluble vitamins in other fruits and vegetables when eaten together
- Good amount of folate for women in the process or thinking about baby making
- Carotenoids, Vitamin C and E— all antioxidants, promoting healthier cellular environments
One study found that people who consume avocados are able to maintain a healthy weight with smaller waists, and are at low risk for diabetes.
Another study found that avocado rich diets result in healthier cholesterol profiles.
Avocados are easy and simple:
- Add them to every dish sliced up on the side with some sea salt
- Dice them up and mix into a salad or omelet
- Add some to your smoothie (you can’t even taste it!)
- Great to make raw desserts with like this brownie (or make the frosting and eat it just like chocolate pudding with some pecans on top)