The easiest, healthiest sweet potato mash recipe ever!
Sweet potatoes and yams are my favorite! I can eat them every day, and I almost do. Yams, the more orange of the two are one of the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. They are delicious as is when baked in the oven in their skin, but if you’d like to sweeten them up a bit more, you can whip them into tasty shape!
What I love about this recipe is that you can make as much or as little as you like because it is all to taste. And it’s so healthy you can eat it for breakfast, lunch, dessert, dinner and as a snack!
All you need are these 3-4 ingredients:
- Sweet Potatoes or Yams
- Grade B 100% Maple Syrup
- +/- vanilla extract (depending on the brand the flavor can be strong so be sure not to use too much if you do).
It's really simple:
- Preheat oven to 375
- Wash the skins of the sweet potatoes
- Bake the sweet potatoes for about 30-45 minutes or until they are fully cooked. The skins will look inflated and sugary juice may even be collecting at the bottom of the pan. You will be able to stick a fork straight through and feel they are completely soft.
- Cool sweet potatoes to a temperature so that you can handle them.
- Peel skin off sweet potatoes (I love to add them to my morning smoothies because they are super nutritious and provide a great smooth texture).
- Add cinnamon, to taste
- Add Grade B Maple Syrup, to taste (so many health benefits so add as much as you like!)
- Mix it all together by hand for a more rugged mash, or if you prefer it really smooth you can put it all in the blender or vitamix.
- Sprinkle and Serve with LOVE.
I made this recipe on Thanksgiving with different toppings to meet everyone's liking. You can add these toppings:
- Sauté some pecans in some honey (healthier than brown sugar)
- If you must, there exists a better alternative than the regular store bought marshmallows. We can't deny that marshmallows are a staple on top of sweet potato mash at Thanksgiving. Though they do contain some sugar (which I'm not crazy about), Dandies Marshmallows are vegan, gluten free, free of corn syrup, and non-GMO.
Try out this recipe and let me know how it goes! I know you will enjoy it!