Raw, Delicious Oatmeal Recipe (it's so good it's perfect as a dessert too!)
I love oatmeal. It’s hearty, fills my belly, and is a great source of fiber. It’s important NOT to buy instant oatmeal, but rather the whole rolled or steel cut oats. For the most part oats are gluten free, though sometimes are processed in factories with gluten products containing flour.
I always look for fun innovative ways to eat oats and this is one such way that doesn’t even require cooking! You soak the oats for 24 hours and this allows them to absorb water, break down the starches, and wash away the anti-nutrient, phytic acid, so they are easier to digest.
Initially my Vitamix inspired this recipe, and over time I’ve added ingredients to the original ingredient list in order to fill it with some more lovin’ and “superfoods,” including coconut oil, grade B maple syrup, and cinnamon!
- 1 cup oats (I use steel cut)
- ½ organic apple cored and chopped with the skin
- 2 tablespoons of filtered/purified water
- 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon (can add more if you like cinnamon)
- 3 tablespoons of raisins
- 1 teaspoon of grade B maple syrup (can add more or leave it out depending how sweet you like it)
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- Soak the oats in 3 cups of purified water for 12 hours, then rinse and add fresh water and soak for another 12 hours.
- Drain water from oats and rinse after a total of 24 hours.
- Place soaked, rinsed oats and all other ingredients into your blender or Vitamix (setting 7). Pulse on and off in blender or use tamper in Vitamix as consistency will be thick like a textured pudding. Continue until all ingredients mixed together.
- Serves 2. Can add organic berries or sliced bananas on top as a great addition.
Feel free to add whatever you like to the recipe as well and let me know how it goes!