Superfood Spotlight: Acai Berry
Nothing beats a frosty cup of Acai on the beach in Brazil. Because this Amazonian berry is highly perishable, freeze-dried powder of the whole fruit— skin and pulp— is the best way to purchase acai. Acai juices are less desirable because they are generally pasteurized— heated at high temperatures to prevent bacteria growth when stored over long periods of time— but this process can destroy some of the active goodness in fruits and vegetables.
This deep purple superfood fruit is loaded with:
- antioxidants to keep you young and healthy
- minerals especially calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc, copper, and manganese.
- healthy fatty acids necessary for cell membrane function
In the Medical Literature:
- A pilot study looked at the effect of Acai on overweight individuals at risk for cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes. After consumption twice daily for a month blood sugar and insulin (a hormone that causes weight gain if overly elevated) levels were lowered, as well as a decrease in cholesterol levels.
- Studies show that the antioxidants in acai are bioactive and enter into human cells and also decrease inflammation in the body.
Acai bowls are a great source. At home use via the Navitas brand is a great freeze-dried powder form of the whole acai berry, and it can be added to a smoothie or sprinkled over oatmeal.