Superfood Spotlight: Kale
As I mentioned in last week’s blog, kale is an alkaline forming food, making it great for your health because it helps prevent illness from setting up shop in the body. Kale is really one of the best of the green leafy vegetables and is also considered a superfood because one cup has:
- An abundance of amino acids- Kale contains all 9 essential amino acids (typically only found in meat) along with a bunch of other amino acids.
- Calcium- Kale contains more calcium than milk!
- More Vitamin A, C, and K than you need in a whole day!
- It even contains some omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which are crucial for proper cell membrane function, and also decrease inflammation in the body.
All of this for 33 calories!
Kale’s fiber content is really high too, allowing you to poop more regularly, and it fills you up fast too!
Some great ways to add Kale to your diet:
- Finely chop it up to create a salad, it’s way more nutrient packed than iceberg or romaine lettuce.
- Add some raw leaves to your smoothie. You can barely taste it!
- Sauté kale with some olive oil, sea salt, and garlic as a yummy side dish.
Kale makes you feel happy!