This super food smoothie is SO yummy!
I’ve recently fallen madly in love with super food smoothies, aka million-dollar smoothies. They are nutrient rich potions that taste Oh. So. Delicious. Yes, the ingredients may be a bit costly, but can you really put a price on your health? After all, supplements are medicine. For the most part you purchase prescription meds when you’re ill so why not purchase supplements that will prevent you from getting sick in the first place? Plus, all the anti-aging and energizing benefits these super foods provide, makes the investment well worth it.
A super food is a nutrient dense food filled with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, which help you fight disease, maintain a healthy weight, and slow down the aging process. Take advantage of the natural medicines Mother Nature provides for us! Each super food has its own unique healing properties and I will begin a weekly spotlight featuring the benefits.
To make super food smoothies a part of your daily routine, I recommend you buy the ingredients and make them at home. This way will more affordable, since most smoothies with these ingredients cost at least $10 with way less superfood goodness. All you need is a blender (bpa free) and you’re good to go! Certain blenders like the Vitamix or Nutribullet, may be a bit more costly, but are designed to preserve the nutrients.
Whenever purchasing ingredients and supplements for the smoothie, make sure they are organic, vegan, and gluten free. Although I recommend some brands I’ve tried and like, feel free to sample others and pick up whatever is on sale. For serving sizes, read the label of the products you buy, generally powders are 1 scoop or Tbsp. Be sure to refrigerate the items that need to be refrigerated after opening for maximum freshness. No ice is needed and you will be doing your intestines a favor. After blending, sample it and decided which ingredients you’d like more of, it’s all to your taste!
Choose a base (~1-2 cups per serving):
- Almond Milk
- Hemp Milk
- Soy Milk- be sure it is organic (less preferred)
*Can add purified water depending on the consistency/sweetness you like
***Read labels and avoid the ingredient “carrageenan” which can cause intestinal issues (Silk & Whole Foods 365 are carrageenan free)
Fruit: (I usually add a banana and frozen berries)
- 1 Banana
- Frozen berries (handful/to your liking)
- Frozen fruit
- Can also use any fresh berries/fruit
Protein (one or all can be used)
- Protein powder: Garden of Eden Raw Protein or Sun Warrior are great raw, organic, vegan brands. Protein powder is optional depending on your diet and the physique you want to maintain.
- All natural almond butter (preferred), can also use peanut butter (make sure the ingredients are just the nuts and NO sugar added)
- Sprouted Chia Seeds (refrigerate)
- Flax seed (refrigerate)
Energy (one or both)
- Raw Cacao Powder
- Maca Powder
Greens (one or both)
- Raw spinach or kale leaves (handful)
- Superfood green supplement (can be used in place of protein powder) with chorella and spirulina.
- Acai berry freeze-dried powder
- Any antioxidant supplement with camu camu or other berries like goji
Other optional ingredients
- Raw Organic Honey (if you really like it sweet)
- Cayenne Powder (adds a nice kick)
- Dates (natural superfood sweetener)
- Avocado (for a smoother texture)
- Oats (for added protein and texture)
- Multivitamin Packet with Vitamin D
- Anything else you’d like to add
*As an efficient, cheaper option, choose mixed superfood smoothie blends mentioned above:
- Amazing Grass Green Superfood Smoothie
- Navitas Superfood/Omega Blend
- Garden of Life products
I guarantee you will love this recipe! The great thing about this recipe is that you can mix and match the ingredients and the quantities to your liking. If you run out of some ingredients, use what you have and it will still be healthy and delicious.
I enjoy it every morning, sometimes even twice a day. Cheers to our health!